Garmin Edge 520 Cycling Computer
I am assuming that many of the people who purchased a Garmin Edge 520 are new to cycling computers. The Edge 520 just doesn’t seem to justify an upgrade from the 510, 810 or 1000 for most cyclist who paid full price for their devices. Given the assumption that you are new to the Garmin Line of cycling computers, there are a few tricks that you may not be aware of. This is normally when it is a good time do a Google search or head over to DC Rainmaker’s Blog. I wasn’t impressed with the maps on this device and I wanted to find a way to install OpenStreet Map Maps on the Garmin Edge 520.
A Basemap Is Only Just a Basemap
One of the first things that I noticed is that the basemaps on the Garmin Edge 520 are NOT the greatest. This should be no surprise because a basemap is by definition a ‘basemap’. If you want to load maps with much more detail, you can load OpenStreetMap maps on your device for free. I put together a YouTube video with the details a few days back, so please take a look at it if you want to know how to do it. You can skip to 2:05 into the video if you already have your map downloaded and ready to go.
Loading OpenstreetMap Maps on the Garmin Edge 520
I put together a YouTube video with the details a few days back, so please take a look at it if you want to know how to do it. You can skip to 2:05 into the video if you already have your map downloaded and ready to go.
This version was done on a Mac running OSX:
Skip to 2:05 into the video if you’ve already downloaded your map file.
This version was captured on a computer running the Windows 10 Operating System, but it is a little confusing to follow:
Skip to 2:30 into the video if you’ve already downloaded your map file.
2. Set your map specifications. Remember to keep your file small. Under 45 to 50MBs. The Garmin Edge 520 does not have much free storage space.
- Select ROUTABLE BICYCLE under Choose your map type.
- Select your Country under Choose a predefined country.
- Mark the checkbox next to Enable manual tile selection.
- Manually select the tiles that you want to use and be aware that there is a limited amount of space on your Garmin Edge 520. Keep the file size approximately 50 MBs.
- Enter your email address under Request your map or download it directly. Click the Build my map button.
3. Download the map file from the site or have it emailed to you. Save the file to your desktop.
4. Connect you Garmin Edge 520 to your computer running the Windows or Mac OSX operating systems
5. Open the Garmin folder and look for the files: gmapbmap.img and gmapbmap.sum . The files will be named gmapbmap on a computer running the Windows operating system. I believe Windows hides file name extensions.
6. Copy both those files and save them in case you want to revert back to the original maps without resetting the device.
7. Delete the gmapbmap.img(gmapbmap on Windows) file and empty your trash folder to make the space available. This will remove the file from the Garmin Edge 520. In some cases we found that the Garmin Edge 520 did not recognize the free space until the file was deleted from the computer and the trash folder was emptied, but it was not always the case.
8. Unzip the file you downloaded from the website. Rename the .img file to gmapbmap.img. You will only have to rename the file gmapbmap if you are on a Windows computer. On a Windows computer, you most likely will NOT have to add the .img file extension.
9. Safely disconnect your Garmin Edge 520, unplug and restart the Garmin Edge 520 device.
10. The new more detailed maps are now ready to go.
We’ve noticed that a majority of the issues people have with installing the OpenStreetMaps File have to with the naming of the gmapbmap file. On a Apple OSX operating system, you WILL have to rename the file to gmapbmap.img. On the Windows Operating system, in most cases you will rename the file to gmapbmap and you WILL NOT have to add the .img file extension because by default the operating system has the file extension hidden.
If this post helped you out at all, please leave a comment and let me know. Also, please leave a comment if there is anything else that you would like to see me post. Your suggestions are always encouraged and welcomed.